Sunday, August 16, 2020

Going on ADVENTURES IN MISSING THE POINT by Tony Campolo and Brian D. Mclaren and Tony Campolo

ADVENTURES IN MISSING THE POINT: HOW THE CULTURE CONTROLLED CHURCH NEUTERED THE GOSPEL

"This was a book I had been thinking about writing for a couple of years. When I brought it to EmergentYS, they suggested Tony Campolo as a coauthor. We divvied up the chapters, and then each of us wrote a response to the other’s chapters. Tony disagrees with me on several points, which is part of what makes the book interesting and fun, I think. We’ve gotten really positive response on this book, especially from people in “the Christian subculture” who feel it kicks some doors down and opens some windows for needed fresh air. " (Brian Mclaren on his Blog) 

This is the first time I started a blog post on a book that I haven't finished reading yet. I am so excited to share what this book is about that I am wanting to set up my post already.   I am about two thirds of my way through this astounding read.  I admit, I am casting a wide net in the books I am reading lately, but this book confirms that I am on the right path.  It seems that this book is a culmination of a lot of the books I have read. It's the shortcut through my library of "Rocket Reads". 

Brian and Tony expound on how the "church" as we know it is "MISSING THE POINT" in eighteen key areas of life.  

Broken down into three headings: God, World and Soul, the following topics are: 

God: Salvation, Theology, Kingdom of God, End Times, Bible

World: Evangelism, Social Action, Culture, Women in Ministry, Leadership, Seminary, Environmentalism, Homosexuality 

Soul: Sin, Worship, Doubt, Truth, Being Post Modern

"You won’t find a blueprint in these chapters—no five easy steps, no new model to roll out. We’re just two bald guys learning to love the Lord and the church and the world, and we’re trying to figure out the point of being Christians. In the process we’re becoming more and more aware of how often we miss the point ourselves. And on occasion in these pages, you'll see how each of us thinks the other might be missing the point as well! (And hopefully, you'll see us demonstrate a good-natured way of disagreeing, too.)" (BM&TC)

My favourite reads come from multiple authors.  I enjoy the back and forth banter between two or three people that have the same goal, but often different perspectives and even different ways of reaching that goal.  This is about teamwork.  I like the format in this book.  Tony takes a subject and Brian responds, Brian takes subject and Tony responds.  Sometimes they are not always in agreement, but they do compliment each other well. 

"What this adventure is about is facing our own blindnesses, our own insanities, our own foggy thinking and clouded judgment. It’s about admitting that we haven’t seen things clearly, and about wanting to think more clearly than we do." (BM&TC) 

I have enjoyed bouncing around in this book.  The chapters stand alone in their content, so jumping ahead to different chapters actually works in this book.  Some topics I wanted to read right away, while others I didn't mind waiting until later.  

"We do not claim to see all that much. We’re just rubbing our eyes and trying to be aware of where our perspective has been foggy. We’re trying to wake up. Part of that waking up is to engage each other—and, hopefully, you—in a conversation." (BM&TC) 

Don't let the subtitle scare you off.  Once you read a chapter or two, you will find that scaring you off is not their intent.  They just want to address the areas of life, thought, actions and behaviours where the "church" is "MISSING THE POINT"... so many things have gone horribly wrong in the attempt to make something for the masses to find God.  Brian and Tony bring attention to some of those things and ask questions, and even provide alternatives to thinking and acting that are more in line with the way Jesus did things.  

"The adventure is for those who simply and passionately want to see. It’s for those who have a passionate thirst for insight that won’t be silenced by the polite crowds along the road. It’s for those who, as they begin to see, want to follow Jesus along the road." (BM&TC) 

It is  Sunday Morning, and I finished the book.  I am glad I read this one.  It gave me some food for thought again.  I didn't agree with everything and I am learning to enjoy books, even though I don't agree with the author or authors.

This time in my life is about expanding my horizons, learning new things, challenging myself and my thoughts and really... finding out what I can believe going forward.  I would like to believe something.  Right now, dwelling in my head is working for me, but will it work long term... I am not sure.  But in the meantime, I want to hang out with passionate people like Brian and Tony.  Even though they come at my questions from different perspectives, I can still admire their passion and seek to find it for myself.  

"So we’d like to invite all of us to consider ways that we’re missing the point—to share a journey of (re)discovering what we’re supposed to be about." (BM&TC) 

No comments: