Follow my Blog on Bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Saturday, March 29, 2014

NOAH the movie: What I liked, what I didn't and, if I was the director, what I would have done different.


SPOILER ALERT
(If you haven't seen the movie... 
this post could wreck it for you) 

Now that I got that out of the way, I can go on with the blog post.  Today was the opening day of NOAH.  My hubby and I went to see it in IMAX for our 5th anniversary date. This blog isn't really a platform for movie reviews, but I figured I would make an exception for NOAH.  ( I'm a Russell Crowe fan.)


I am going to split my comments up into three segments as mentioned in
the blog post title. I am going to say I give NOAH 4.5 out of 5 stars... and here is why.

WHAT I LIKED


1. Russell Crowe, Jennifer Connelly and Anthony Hopkins.  It was nice to see some big names in the movie. Phenomenal actors... all of them.  Crowe and Connelly were paired up in one of my favourite movies "Beautiful Mind".  It was a treat to see them back on the screen together. 

2.  I liked the inclusion of Methuselah in the story.  I figured out years ago, after doing the some math in Genesis, that Methuselah would have been alive when Noah built the ark.  I often imagined Noah having his grandpa around for moral support while he was building the ark.  


3. The Watchers.  They added more to the story line even through they were a creative diversion of the director.   Maybe Aronofsky (director, producer and script writer) had the Nephalim in mind when he created their characters... maybe.  They kind of reminded me of the Transformers.  I liked how they helped with boat building and protected them at night and during the attack.

4.  There were no atheists. Everyone acknowledged the Creator.  Even the descendants of Seth.  Everyone knew where they came from, even if the relationship was significantly strained.  


5. Sleeping animals.  That was insightful.  How else would Noah have dealt with that many animals for almost a year?  Think food, water, sewage and rampant breeding... I think God putting them out for the duration of the journey would have been the way to go. 

6.  Seth's wife was brought into the family as an adopted orphan.  Nice touch. 


7. I really liked how the Creation story was included. 

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE.

1.  I didn't like it when Na'el was killed.  Noah could have pulled the trap and saved her.  He saved Ila.  It did however remind me that sometimes we can muck up God's provision. 

2. Tubal Cain didn't belong on the ark.  I am thinking that Aronofsky was looking for more conflict scenes for the end of the movie... but I am sure he could have done well with Noah's psychosis.  He didn't need Tubal-Cain for that. 

3. Ham and Japheth didn't have wives or potential wives.  The end leaves you to believe that Ham dies alone and Japheth has to marry one of his nieces.  That is just weird. 


4.  Noah's brushcut.  I wonder what they used for razors in the day to get such a uniform cut.  It lacked authenticity.    


5. The music during the final credits depressed me. 

6. The flood waters hit and Noah was still outside the boat.  It reminded me of Harrison Ford hanging out of the plane on Air Force One.  It also makes it look like God's got bad timing.  


IF I WAS THE DIRECTOR, WHAT I WOULD HAVE DONE DIFFERENT. 

1.  Na'el would have made it on the boat (with a little sister at the last minute, a playmate/future wife for Japheth) ... and Tubal Cain would have been treading water. 

2. Noah would have make it in the boat before the flood water hit.  


3. Japheth would have insisted that he keep a pet dog awake for the trip. 

4. There would have been no smoke stack.  It seemed out of place.  There would have been enough heat created by the animals.  They didn't need a wood stove on the ark. Major fire hazard, too. 

5. Methuselah wouldn't have drowned.  I would have had him die shortly before the ark was finished with Noah or his grandsons at his deathbed.  


6. I would have included Ham in the final scene.  


There you have it.  My honest thoughts on the movie.  I am glad I saw it.  Hollywood is taking on the Bible... How cool is that!!!  Why get tied up in knots on the details?  


No comments:

Post a Comment