Follow my Blog on Bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Saturday, March 15, 2014

Jesus for Supper: The Food that Sticks

 At this, the Jews started fighting among themselves: "How can this man serve up his flesh for a meal?"
 But Jesus didn’t give an inch. "Only insofar as you eat and drink flesh and blood, the flesh and blood of the Son of Man, do you have life within you.  The one who brings a hearty appetite to this eating and drinking has eternal life and will be fit and ready for the Final Day. My flesh is real food and my blood is real drink.  By eating my flesh and drinking my blood you enter into me and I into you.  In the same way that the fully alive Father sent me here and I live because of him, so the one who makes a meal of me lives because of me. This is the Bread from heaven. Your ancestors ate bread and later died. Whoever eats this Bread will live always."
John 6: 52-58


Taking the cup, he blessed it, then said, “Take this and pass it among you. As for me, I’ll not drink wine again until the kingdom of God arrives.”Taking bread, he blessed it, broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body, given for you. Eat it in my memory.”
Luke 22:17


Taking the cup and thanking God, he gave it to them: Drink this, all of you. This is my blood, God’s new covenant poured out for many people for the forgiveness of sins.  “I’ll not be drinking wine from this cup again until that new day when I’ll drink with you in the kingdom of my Father.”
Matthew 26:27b-29


"Eat my flesh, Drink my blood."  Not exactly what Jesus' disciples were expecting to here from him.  Jesus was consistently messing with the minds of his followers and especially he messed with the religious folk.  I have heard so many sermons on some of these passages over the years.  I know there are oceans of pastors and theologians that have tackled these passages in sermons and dissertations.  There are libraries full of books that dissect this very subject.  

This is my blog.. This is my deduction.  

  Jesus was a poet. 

Jesus liked metaphors; but his audience didn't seem to know what a metaphor was.  Maybe his compadres missed the day they taught creative writing in Sabbath School.  King David was a poet.  If David was around the campfire with Jesus, he would have understood.  He is the one who was commended for having a heart after God.  

Open your mouth and taste, open your eyes and see-how good God is. Blessed are you who run to him.
Psalm 34:8

Young lions on the prowl get hungry, but God-seekers are full of God.
Psalm 34:10


I understand the power of a picture.  That is why I like inserting pictures into my blog posts.  I know without them, I would be the one to lose attention, never mind my readers.  Our brains are visual.  We see, taste, hear, feel, and smell.  That is is how we process information.  

Jesus also understood the power of a picture.  Over and over again he adds pictures to what he is trying to communicate. 

"I am the Bread of Life."
"I am the Good Shepherd."
"I am the Gate for the sheep."
"I am the Living Water."

Jesus said, "Everyone who drinks this water will get thirsty again and again. Anyone who drinks the water I give will never thirst-not ever. The water I give will be an artesian spring within, gushing fountains of endless life."
John 4:13-14


Jesus gave us  Earth's pictures to illustrate Heaven's truth. We, as humans,  understand food and drink to be the fuel that keeps our bodies alive. Without food and drink, we would be dead.  There is no growth or life without it.    

Jesus wasn't looking for a following of people.  He wasn't looking for fans that admired his miracles.  Jesus wanted to be supper.  He wanted to be ingested.  The pictures he gave in the story of the Gospels prove that.  Jesus came to be our Bread and our Water... our sustenance, our existence, our very life.  

Jesus is the Food that Sticks!!!!


"Don’t waste your energy striving for perishable food like that. Work for the food that sticks with you, food that nourishes your lasting life, food the Son of Man provides. He and what he does are guaranteed by God the Father to last."

John 6:27



(All scripture references in this post are taken from The Message) 

1 comment:

  1. His disciples said, “Finally! You’re giving it to us straight, in plain talk—no more figures of speech. Now we know that you know everything—it all comes together in you. You won’t have to put up with our questions anymore. We’re convinced you came from God.”
    John 16:29-30(MSG)


    They got it.. Well. almost. I am thinking it took a lot more to get the whole picture. It really is a journey... not an overnight revelation.

    ReplyDelete